tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 03 05:18:54 1996

tardy Holiday greetings

I've been thinking about this whole, "How do I say, 'Merry
Christmas and Happy New Year" thing. Others have suggested you
tell the tera'nganpu' "DaH HIHoH!", but everyone knows THAT is
what you teach tera'nganpu' when they ask, "How do you say,
'Have a nice day.'" The tera'nganpu' are bound to smell
something fishy.

So, for NEXT year, I recommend that you explain to them that
the word for "happy" or "merry" (and you can confide to them
that there is only one word for these meanings) is {jIH}, and
it always follows that which it modifies.

Then explain to them that the word for "holiday" is {na'}. It
always follows the name of the holiday.

The word for "Christmas" is "qoH". The word for "New Year" is
{DoS}. Then explain that the word for "and" is {mo'}. So to
wish someone "Merry Chrismas", you say, {qoHna' jIH!}. To say,
"Happy New Year", say {DoSna' jIH}, and to wish someone, "Merry
Chrismas and a Happy New Year", you say, {qoHna' jIHmo' DoSna'
jIH!} You then tell them that it is customary for them to do a
little dance.

If they ask you what KIND of little dance, just smile,
reassuringly, and explain to them that you are quite sure they
will figure it out.

charghwI'
--

 \___