tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 22 22:27:14 1996

Similes Revisited

Your eyes shine like the stars.

I have continued to think of how to express similes in tlhIngan Hol.

Hovmey rurtaHvIS mInDu'lIj boch bIH

I rejected this on the feeling that it would mean "While your eyes resemble
the stars, they shine."  And, that could mean that Verb+taHvIS indicates
"while" an action is taking place versus the time an action is not taking
place.

Hovmey rur mInDu'lIj     boch Hovmey mInDu'lIj je

This covers the meaning but is too convoluted with repetition.

Hovmey rur mInDu'lIj     boch je bIH

This is my choice.

nIb Hovmey boch mInDu'lIj

This would be my choice if we could assume {nIb}, a Stative Verb, could be
used as an Adverb.  We do have {motlh}, previously only a Stative Verb, used
by Marc Okrand as the Adverb "usually."  But, I will not assume authority to
start using Stative Verbs as Adverbs.  If we know of more canon examples
showing that Stative Verbs can be used as Adverbs, please let me know.

Expecting comments.

peHruS

Back to archive top level