tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 20:43:58 1996

Re: KLBC:fractions

nuqHm writes:
>What's wrong with wej wavta' wa' (or even wejwavta'wa') for 1/3 ?

The big problem is that it's not a number, it's a sentence.  The first
small problem is the suffix {-ta'}.  "One intentionally divided three?"
The second small problem is that it's backwards.

I've seen a couple of tries using the word {wav}, and they aren't very
intuitive.  I suggest a different approach:  "one third" is one part of
three parts.  I come up with {wej 'ay' wa' 'ay'}.  I tried the slightly
simpler {wej 'ay' wa'}, but I think I'd translate that back as "section
one of three" as easily as "one of three sections".