tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 08:46:20 1996

Re:Re: KLBC> HaDIbaHpu` l

 > According to Alan Anderson:
 > >
 > > ter'eS writes:
 > .. My intention in this sentence was to avoid a literal object.  {Doch
 > rap}seems too concrete to me; I think {Doch} should refer only to
 > actual physical items.  {ta'} seems more goal-oriented than Pinky's
 > question warrants.
 > >
 > > One of the nifty tools I've found for recasting questions is to ask "how"
 > > instead of "what".  TKD 6.4 gives {chay' jura'} "What are your  orders?"
 > > (page 70).  So one might ask {DaHjaj ram chay' mavang?} instead of asking
 > > {DaHjaj ram nuq wIqaSmoH?}.  Pinky's question indeed is open-ended, with
 > > no hint of a goal; but Brain's answer certainly deserves the use of {ta'}.

 On that note I have proposed/considered translating
 "Whats up?" as {chay' bIghoS}. Literally "You do you proceed?"
 But feedback from others indicated that it's a bit ambigous and
 idiomatic.

 OTOH if we were to say "Now what?" I think that could be translated
 as {DaH chay' maghoS} literally "Now, how do we proceed?"

 Feedback?

 > charghwI'

 david
---
 * OFFLINE 1.58 * The Naked Stars observe your deeds.....and yawn.

Back to archive top level