tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 04:46:54 1996

Re: KLBC:qatlh jIH

jIH," in which he said that the phrase tends to parse for him as "why
am I," I'd like to add the following:

The term jIH can mean "It is I" as much as "I am." tlhIngan Hol makes
no apparent distinction between the two, except, perhaps, in the use
of the Type 5 suffix -'e' when the meaning of "I" needs to be emphasised.

So "qatlh jIH" can have the meaning "Why is it me?" or simply, "Why
me?" because, as a pronoun, "jIH" means "I, me" as much as "I am."

The actual usage of the pronouns can be found in The Klingon
Dictionary, sections 5.1 (pages 51 - 52) and 6.3 (pages 67 - 68).
The topic suffix "-'e'" can be found in Section 3.3.5 (page 29).

qay'be'.

Lord Havelock.
"Oh, my God, Professor! It's rampaging down 42nd Street! Guns won't stop it!" - nameless assistant
"I have a theory ... call me a fool if I'm wrong, but ... maybe if you were to load the guns with bullets ..." - Professor Commonsense
email me on [email protected]. Just call me Lord Sinister

Back to archive top level