tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 17:28:35 1996

Re: KLBC Preguntas

At 02:34 PM 2/8/96 -0800, you wrote:
>According to David Barron:
>>

>> Boy, you ask some good questions. Most of which we've hashed out over
>> the years. But as for this one:
>>
>>  > 4. Is there any way to express a fraction?
>>
>> I wrote an article in HolQeD v3n2 on how one might deal with simple
>> arithmatical properties. I proposed that in order to say 1/10 you would
>> say  <wa'vo' wavbogh wa'maH> "one from which ten divides".
>
>I respectfully challenge this. It it the old "ship in which I
>fled" problem. Since you can't mark {wa'} with two different
>Type 5 suffixes at the same time, this can also mean "ten which
>divides from one". Either way, it is more that a little bit
>cryptic. And how would you say, "five and three tenths"?

Excuse my mental desity here,
but in both these example isnt 10 dividing into 1?

>I responded to the article on the net and because everyone read
>my response, Lawrence refused to publish it in HolQeD because
>it could no longer be peer reviewed anonymously.

Boy, I am sorry i don't remember the post. I regret it wasnt in HolQeD
as well.

>The fact is, Okrand has not told us how to express fractions,
>beyond {bID}, except as percent. One tenth would be
>{wa'maHvatlhvI'}. Five and three tenths would be {vagh
>wejvatlhvI'}.

Ok,  this works.
I like it. sorry I didnt think of it myself.

>> david
>
>charghwI'
>--
>
> \___
> o_/ \
> <\__,\
>  ">   | Get a grip.
>   `   |

                       David Barron  [email protected]
        Klingon Language Postal Course,   PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
              It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
                     Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

Back to archive top level