tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 07:14:16 1996

Re: KLBC Preguntas

>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:05:14 -0800
>From: Adam Walker <[email protected]>

>I have several questions:

>1. How would you say "Your eyes shine like stars?"  I'm most
>interested in how to form a similie, so if this seems to un-tlhingan
>feel free to recast the phrase or even choose an other example.

How about just "Hovmey rur mInDu'lIj"?

>2.How does one express "inside?"

It's been asked before.  I'm hoping for a noun for "area inside" from
Okrand that we can use with -Daq (like we have bIng and Dung).  You can try
circumlocutions with "ngaS" or idioms with "burgh", but be careful with
idioms.

>3. Ditto for wall.  There doesn't seem to be a word for "wall" in TKD
>so how would you get the idea across?

Another one we've missed.  Consider "Som."

>4. Is there any way to express a fraction?

Not aside from "vatlhvI'"/percent.  And I for one do not support
generalizing that formation without Okrandian sanction.

>5. How does tlhingan Hol handle double reference to the same
>individual?  E.g. Gowron, chancelor of the Klingon Empire, is a great
>warrior.

That's called apposition.  We started using this before we had any
examples, by using pretty much the way most languages do it: simply
putting the noun-phrases after one another.  Some folks like to make sure
there's a type-5 suffix on both of them (maybe -'e') so as to ensure it
won't look like a possessive construction.

The only "canon" I can think of for this is from a SkyBox card, where it
says "juHqo' Qo'noSvo'" for "from the home world, Kronos."  Note that this
does NOT do what we'd been trying (the type-5 is only on the second noun),
and what's more could be an ordinary N-N construction: from the home-world
of Kronos (more accurately, "From Kronos of the home-world", which makes
even less sense).  Then again, I'm not sure what that "of" in the English
really means.

>6. Can you parse this sentance or is it total nonsense?  SaHbogh
>wanI'mey Suvpu'pa' maHvaD lut ja'.  It's bound to be the most
>complicated thing I've yet written in Hol and I'm not sure It makes
>sense.

"Before she had fought the events, she told us a story."  I'm not sure the
"-pu'" is necessary there, nor that it detracts.

~mark

Back to archive top level