tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 27 00:20:46 1996

Re: To many identical words. Please comment

In a message dated 96-12-26 10:51:14 EST, ~mark writes:

<< I don't know either, but I suspect it's not all that unusual.  Hell, in
 Chinese I understand that *EVERY WORD* has an average of about *six*
 different meanings, and that's counting words with different tones as
 different.  >>

Since I am from Taiwan and speak Mandarin, I will add an aside.  The
pronunciation zhih has 147 different characters, hence different meanings, in
the standard Student's Chinese Dictionary.  The pronunciation pou has only 1;
and ga has only 2.

HIja'     bIlugh     vatlhvI' SImDI' jav qechmey 'oS chinese mu'mey ghoghmey
nIb

mu'tlhegh Daqmey nIbbe'Daq ghoghmey nIb DIlo' jIHvaD Qatlhbe'
mu'tlheghvamDaq wot mojaq 'oH wa' {be'}'e' 'ej DIp 'oH wa' {be'}'e'
qanbe' be'vam
qay'be' jay' 'ej tlhaQqu'

Sachjaj tlhIngan Hol 'ej reH maghojtaHjaj

peHruS

Back to archive top level