tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 26 23:24:22 1996

Re: Use of Verbs + types + -wI'

In a message dated 96-12-24 18:38:19 EST, SuStel writes:

<< Tell me: is there *any* other reason that anyone would want to
 form lots of new nouns?  (Sure, the few needed ones, like "table," would be
 nice, but we really don't need "thing which one drinks.")

chojangmo' qatlho' SuStel

And, I really was testing my theory that we speakers of Klingon are allowed
to put verb suffixes types 1-8 onto verb stems, then ending with the suffix
-wI'.  ghunchu'wI' is an excellent example.  I am pleased that the attempt to
use the suffix -lu' has stirred up our thoughts.  Now that I have read
~mark's highly logical reply, I can understand why the experts are not
fabricating nouns from adding both -lu' and -wI' to verbs.  I had puzzled
several months before posting.

DIpmey law' nop tlhIngan Hol wIyajbogh

TKD*Daq ghItlh Okrand     (begin paraphrase:::) This dictionary does not
include words for flora and fauna, and many items on the planets' surface,
mostly only the words for conversation of the bridge of a starship.  (end)

(begin another)  Maltz has not provided us with all the words which Klingons
use.  (end)

By inference, I think there are lots more Klingon words within the tlhIngan
wo'.  I, a Terran student of tlhIngan Hol, am curious as to what they are.

Back to reality -- yes, I definitely would like to see more tlhIngan Hol.
 Impatiently, apparently, I await much more from our language's creator
(instead of fantasizing merely on going to Kronos and learning those words
from the natives).  Even in this verb-oriented language, nouns are important.

BTW, since we have QongDaq for bed, I have been using the words SopDaq,
ghItlhDaq, and vutDaq.  OTOH, I would never say ba'Daq, as we have quS.

I have noticed an increase in words dealing with customs and foods, at least
since TKW's publication.  Personally, I hope this trend continues!!!

Sachjaj tlhIngan Hol

peHruS

Back to archive top level