tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 24 15:34:53 1996

RE: KLBC

December 24, 1996 10:00 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

> I'm trying to transalate a song(an English one.
> It's called "WHEN THE SWALLOES COME BACK TO CAPISTRANO".Does anybody know
it?
> It's from the 30's.Anyway I was wondering how do I say it?
> BTW,what is swallow(swalloes)?

Ack!  You're trying to translate a song about swallows, and you don't know
what a swallow is?!?!?  (It's a bird.  African or European . . . ?  They carry
coconuts on lines between them.)

> let's see,*CAPISTRANO* IS A NAME OF A PLACE SO I NEED TO USE *Daq*,right?
> Maybe it's:     *CAPISTRANO*(Daq?) ghoSqa'DI' *Swalloes*

This is "As soon as the swallows resume approaching Capistrano."  There's a
hand verb, {chegh} "return."

"Capistrano"-Daq cheghDI' "swallow"-mey

> But where do I put the Daq?there are no nouns(Execpt the SUBJ &  OBJ...?)

You're right: nouns with {-Daq} come at the beginning of the sentence.

> Anyway the begining is:
> "When the swalloes come back to capistrano----That's the day u promised to
> come back to me..."

Oh, I see . . . you need to change the grammar a bit . . .

"Capistrano"-Daq chegh "swallow"-mey . . .  jajvetlh jIHvaD bIchegh 'e'
Dalay'.
The swallows will return to Capistrano . . . you promised that you will return
to me on that day.

Maybe you should find different song.  Better yet, don't worry about
translating songs, but keep trying to talk to me or others in Klingon.  Hold a
conversation: you say something, I answer back, and you reply to that . . . we
keep going.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian