tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 22 13:55:18 1996

Re: Eating

>Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 19:49:26 -0800
>From: "eric d. zay" <[email protected]>
>
>> jISopbe'
>> I think this would mean 'I haven't ate."

More like "I didn't eat/I am not eating/etc."  "jISoppu'be'" is closer to
"I haven't eaten."  But the meanings are very close in this case.

>> jISopQa'
>> "I will not eat."
>
>This should be *jISopQo' *

Yes, and it works.

>> jISopHa'
>> "I vomited."
>
>This works for me, although under the right conditions, it could be
>interpreted as "mis-eat" or "eat the wrong thing."  Such as
>*bIjatlhHa'chugh vaj bIHegh* means "If you say the wrong thing (mis-speak)
>you will die.

Correct. I think I used "ghupHa'" for "vomit" in Jonah.  Either would
likely be understood correctly in the right contexts.

~mark

Back to archive top level