tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 19 06:20:40 1996

RE: KLBC

ja' SuStel:
>> yejquv DewI' gowron.
>If this was to be "Gowron is the leader of the High Council," you're not too
>far off.  This is a "to be" sentence, as explained in TKD section 6.3.
>(You've also misspelled {ghawran} and {DevwI'}.
>yejquv DevwI' ghaH ghawran'e'.

When I see a sentence of the form {[verb]-wI' ghaH}, it usually seems
simpler to just use the verb as a verb.

yejquv Dev ghawran.

Occasionally the {[verb]-wI'} phrasing is more appropriate, as when
you're trying to identify someone as a member of a group.  For example,
{ghojwI' SoH} "you are a student" and {bIghoj} "you learn" aren't quite
the same idea, though literally "you are a learner" and "you learn" do
have very similar meanings.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level