tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 08:32:05 1996

Re: RE: mu'tlheghmey javDIch vImugh

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:42:08 -0800 David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> December 17, 1996 6:26 AM, jatlh HurghwI':
> > I really wanted to use "remind," as in "When you emit odor, I am reminded of
> > a targ." The only problem was I wasn't sure how to use {qaw'moH}.
>
> Well, in that case, {targh vIqaw} is fine.  {qawmoH} gets a bunch of funny
> problems.  One of the SkyBox cards says {ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH} for (more or
> less) "it reminds him of his heritage."  Now, if you take this as correct (I'm
> not liking it), you could say
>
> {jIHvaD targh qawmoHlu'}
> I am reminded of a targh.
>
> However, combining {-moH} and {-lu'} in this way is self-defeating; they tend
> to cancel each other out.  It becomes {targh vIqaw}.

But you could say:

jIHvaD targh qawmoH pIwlIj. Yes, the syntax of using {-moH} on a
transitive verb looks strange, but it is canon, it is useful and
I've grown accustomed to it. Why fight it? It makes sense
according to my growing model of the relationship between verbs
and objects in Klingon.

For all the times I've been accused of being overly conservative
and unwilling to accept change, I'm quite willing to accept new
grammatical structures when Okrand offers them, so long as they
do not appear to be mistakes. This one does not look like a
mistake. I can't believe he didn't do this on purpose.

> --
> SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian
> Stardate 96963.7