tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 07:50:10 1996

Re: parmaq (par'mach) - oh, it *IS* canon, eh?

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996 07:13:04 -0800 Joel Peter Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Someday the Klingon language community will grow up and drop this childish
> hostility toward Paramount's scriptwriters.

Myself being one recently under fire for being "unpleasant", I
would like to point out that words like "childish" are somewhat
confrontational. Meanwhile, I do not think it childish to resent
that Paramount instigated the creation of this really cool
langauge with real vocabulary and real grammar with really
expressive capabilities, yet when called upon to use it in their
shows, they ignore any of the many available sources who could
actually translate their words for them and instead make stuff
up.

They unnecessarily introduce a rift between the language and
their fictional world. You seem to accuse those who speak the
language of creating the rift. This is an interesting accusation.

> I doubt there is anyone here
> capable of what they do.  I certainly couldn't, and *I* have a degree in
> theater (including courses in scriptwriting).

They write scripts. They don't try to build sets. They don't try
to act. They don't design the lighting. Why do they pretend to
write Klingon sentences instead of handing that job over to
those who can, just as the set builders, actors and lighting
directors do THEIR tasks?
> Obviously I get some sick kick out of playing "bait the Klingon", pointing
> out that the canon Klingon vocabulary is larger than that defined in TKD
> and other Okrand generated sources.

You can also point out that the Earth is flat. That won't make
it accurate.

> Please understand that I recognize
> the interests of the KLI and that MOST tlhIngan ghojwI'pu' focus on the
> Okrand corpus.  Read Holtej's FAQ, section 2.10 on "I just heard Worf
> say... what does it mean" (I wrote it).

And you seem strangely proud of having done so. I guess we all
have our missions.

>    joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
>  mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
>     http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]

charghwI'

Back to archive top level