tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 22:21:15 1996

Re: Dr Okrand Speaks -- ben

(Qov's mailer is terrible with attributions ...)

At 11:50 16/12/96 -0800, Voragh wrote:
}>Quoting Mark Okrand as quoted by Ken Traft:
}>> "I am 40 years old" would be expressed as:
}>> loSmaH ben jIboghpu'
}>
}>{-pu'}?!  I'd like to know why the perfective is appropriate here.
}>There are a couple of weaselish arguments I could come up with, but
}>this seems to me like a misapplication of perfective.

I would have preferred <loSmaH ben jIbogh>, too, but I'm very willing to
accept this as a Klingon idiom, or the way that Klingons think about time in
the past.

}Seems perfectly logical to me.  How many times can you be born?  This one
}event is completed.  The alternative is to leave it in the unmarked
}imperfect which to my ears implies your birth took 40 years to accomplish.

jIQoch.  <loSmaH ben> time stamps the action as occuring then.  Even <loSmaH
ben jIboghlI'> would mean to me "forty years ago I was being born."  "I have
been being born over the last forty years" in Klingon would require
<qaStaHvIS loSmaH DIS>.

}For comparison, in Russian (another aspectual language) one says: Ya
}rodilsya/rodilas' sorok let tomu nazad "I was born 40 years ago".
}
}As an aside, it would be interesting to compare the use of aspect in Klingon
}to Russian.  I'm sure there are differences--Russian uses both tense and
}aspect, while Klingon only has aspect--but this doesn't feel like one of
}them.  Are there any other Russian speakers or translators on the list

Or native speakers of other languages with aspect.  I noticed a Bulgarian
.sig today.

} Qov? Kak ty dumaesh'?

Voragh, ya dumayu 4to, DaH *russkii* DujwIj vIvoqqangbe'. Aspects in Russian
sometimes include meanings that Klingon expresses with -taH/-lI'.  I'm
thinking of "vchera ya poshla b shkoly" <wa'Hu' DuSaQDaq jIyIt/jIyItpu'> vs.
"vchera ya shla" <waHu' jIyIttaH> vIqel.  My use of Russian perfective is
far from perfect, and MO continually uses -pu' where I would uses a bare
verb, vaj ghu'vamvaD lI'be' vuDwIj.

jIHagh.  bIng mu'tlheghmey DalaDchugh vaj mIw'e' lo'law'bogh yabwIj
DayajchoH.  Dayajchu'chugh HIja' -- vIyajchu'be' jIH. :-)
---
Qov               [email protected]            tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level