tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 18:14:09 1996

RE: DaH vay' vIlarghlaH (was RE: mu'tlheghmey javDIch vImugh)

December 17, 1996 3:58 PM, jatlh HurghwI':

> >"You smell like a targh."
> >jaSHa' He' SoH targh je.

> I thought putting verb suffixes on adverbs was illegal.
> Is it?

Mostly, yes.  In HolQeD 4:4, Okrand announces that some adverbials may be able
to take the suffix {-Ha'} to negate it.  {batlhHa'} is completely legal this
way, as is {Do'Ha'}.

Not all adverbials can take {-Ha'}.  {vaj} cannot (Maltz didn't like it).

So far, no other adverbials have been shown to be "negate-able."  It's
possible that others can be.

My guess is that any adverbial which can be reversed usefully would be able to
take {-Ha'}.  I have no problem understanding {jaSHa'}.  I would not, for
example, expect *{reHHa'}, since it would seem to mean {not}.  One word I'd
*love* confirmation of is *{ghaytanHa'}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level