tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 14:45:10 1996

Some questions

In reference to my continuing efforts to translate Sun Tzu...

First, a comment:  Most of the problems I am encountering with
regards to this project is a simple lack of vocabulary.  On
occasion, I have been able to recast using existing vocabulary,
but quite frequently such is unsatisfactory - there was one
place where recasting had two distinct nouns, with different
senses, both being translated with <<potlh>>, important things.
Nope.  Scratch that verse until we get more vocabulary.

Now, the questions:

1.      Compound Imperative Sentences.

        Consider two sentences, both imperatives, that have the
        same object:

        Care about your prisoners.      <<qama'pu'lI' yISaH>>
        Care for your prisoners.        <<qama'pu'lI' yIQorgh>>

        It is permissible to omit the object the second time
        when joining the sentences with <<'ej>>?

        Care about your prisoners, and care for them.
        <<qama'pu'lI yISaH 'ej yIQorgh>>

2.      Nominalization of a phrase/sentence.

        One chapter in Sun Tzu is entitled "Offensive Strategy".
        The best recasting I can arrive at is "The Strategy You
        Use To Attack the Enemy".  This, grammatically, is a
        noun.  I can write a sentence "You use strategy to
        attack the enemy."

        <<jagh boHIvmeH Dup bolo'>>

        How would one convert this into a noun phrase - for
        example, if I wanted to say "Describe to me *the
        strategy you use to attack an enemy*", I would need this
        construction.

Jeff Zeitlin                                      [email protected]
---
 � OLXWin 1.00b � There are some things worth dying for.

Back to archive top level