tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 07:25:12 1996

DaH vay' vIlarghlaH (was RE: mu'tlheghmey javDIch vImugh)

>>> Is there a word for "scent?" In this sentence, especially, it is hard to get
>>> around.
>>
>>No, there's no word for "scent."  If you want to get across the idea that I
>>smell *worse* than a targ, you can say
>
>Isn't there a word for odor?  I don't have TKD here, but I *thought*
>that there was.  How would that be different from scent?
>
>tevram

There are four words that I can think of relating to smell (with the extant
canon):

He'  smell, emit odor (v.)
He'So'  stink (v.)
largh  smell, sense odors (v.)
   DaH vay' vIlarghlaH  CK
    Now I can smell something.
   vay' DalarghDI' yIqaw  TKW
    Remember the scent. (i.e. "Learn from your experiences")
   reH bang larghlu'  TKW
    Love is always smelled ("A loved one is always smelled").
pIw  odor (n.)

As we learned in "Birthright II" and "Genesis" (was that the name of that
dreadful TNG "de-evolution" episode?), Klingons have an acute sense of smell.

Voragh

Back to archive top level