tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 19:54:51 1996

RE: KLBC

December 16, 1996 4:34 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

> Thanks for helping.

qay'be'.

> I'm reading section 6 now and have some questions:
> I understand that the structure is:
>                             OBJ-VERB-SUBJ
> and any nounthat is not the objet goes before all that.
> So if I want to say "I'm living on a house" I should say "planet living I'm"
>                                                             OBJ    VERB
SUBJ

"House"?  You mean "planet"?

> So I'll say: *yuQ jIyIn jIH* or just *yuQ jIyIn*,right?
> I'm not sure if should say *jIyIn* or *vIyIn*.

You're very close!  Whenever you are talking about a spacial concept, such as
"in" or "to" or "on," you probably need the {-Daq} noun suffix.  This suffix
means the action occurs "in" or "to" or "at" or "on" the noun to which it is
attached.  Therefore, you must say

yuQDaq jIyIn.
I live on the planet.

Now, since any noun with {-Daq} on it is not going to be the object, and
therefore comes before the rest of the sentence, you must use the prefix which
means "no object."  This is {jI-}, as I've used it above.

> and if I want to say "I'm living on a big  planet" :
>              I'm not sure if to say *tIn yuQ jIyIn jIH* or *yuQ tIn jIyIn
jIH*

Your second attempt is closer.  When you use a verb as an adjective (to
describe something; any verb which begins with "be --"), it always comes
*after* the noun it's describing.

You need to add the {-Daq} again.  However, there's a funny little rule on TKD
page 50 which says that Type 5 noun suffixes must be attached to the adjective
of a noun, if it has one, not the noun itself.

yuQ tInDaq yIyIn.

Of course, the {jIH} is optional, and merely stresses the subject.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level