tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 17:12:14 1996

Re: KLBC - I fight with a sword.

>Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 07:22:15 -0800
>From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>
>

>> December 15, 1996 8:00 PM, jatlh HetaQ:
>>
>> > I'm a little confused about the structure of the sentence:
>> > I fight with a sword.
>
>> > jISuvmeH 'etlh vIlo'
>> > For the purpose of fighting I use a sword.
>>
>> > jISuvvIS 'etlh vIlo'
>> > While fighting I use a sword.
>But couldn't you just say <'etlh vIlo'>?  I mean, if you're using a sword,
>what else would you be doing but fighting?

Kahless used his sword to plow a field and carve a statue of his beloved.
Kor(?) used it to feed himself.  Any number of things can be done with a
sword.  Just as there are always weapons (i.e. anything can be used as a
weapon), there are always other uses too.

~mark

Back to archive top level