tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 11:43:34 1996

Re: Dr. Okarnd Speaks -- lengthy

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:17:27 -0800 Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >}...Question words (in this case, nuq
> >}"what?") function the same way pronouns do in questions
> >}with "to be" in the English translations.
> >
> >Hmmm.  nuq functions as a pronoun.  I would have demanded the construction
> >nuq 'oH yIH'e' in unclipped speech.
>
> More disturbing, how inclusive is the phrase "question words" here?
> Does {nuqDaq} work this way too?  *{yuch nuqDaq?}  How about others?
> *{'uQ ghorgh?}  *{DeSlIj chay'?}

I'd expect it to be a more humble expansion of the previously
noun functioning question words {nuq 'Iv je} to be more fully
functioning pronouns. Locatives like {nuqDaq}, adverbials like
{chay' qatlh je} or time settings like {chorgh} don't make sense
as pronouns.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level