tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 11:40:09 1996

Re: Dr Okrand Speaks -- ben

ngeH charghwI':
> On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:22:06 -0800 Alan Anderson
> > ja' Okrand quv:
> > > "I am 40 years old" would be expressed as:
> > > loSmaH ben jIboghpu'
> >
> > {-pu'}?!  I'd like to know why the perfective is appropriate here.
> > There are a couple of weaselish arguments I could come up with, but
> > this seems to me like a misapplication of perfective.
> >
> > -- ghunchu'wI'
>
> Klingons are not approximate, right? So if today is my
> 42nd birthday, I would say, {loSmaH cha' ben jIbogh.} Tomorrow,
> and 363 days after that, I'll say {loSmaH cha' ben jIboghpu'.}
> Get it?
     qechlIj vIyajchu', 'ach jIQoch.  If this is what is happening,
it would be just as correct to say {wa' ben jIbogh} since as of one
year ago, I had been born.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |