tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 23:10:28 1996

RE: KLBC - I fight with a sword.

December 15, 1996 8:00 PM, jatlh HetaQ:

> I'm a little confused about the structure of the sentence:
> I fight with a sword.
>
> "with a sword" seems to be giving me a bit of trouble.
> I've come up with the following:
>
> jISuvmeH 'etlh vIlo'
> For the purpose of fighting I use a sword.

Correct.  This is precisely how you should do this.

> jISuvvIS 'etlh vIlo'
> While fighting I use a sword.

Well, you must always use {-taH} when using {-vIS}, but otherwise, this
sentence is correct, too.

> Am I on the right track?  What is the difference between these two?

One is stating the purpose of using the sword, and the other says you're using
the sword during a particular period of time.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level