tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 15:14:27 1996

Re: Dr Okrand Speaks -- ben

Kenneth TraftVaD

                                                Given the phrasing of the
sentence in PK *cha' vatlh ben HIq* I always assumed that the safest way to
use this in indicating ones own age would be something like *wa'maH Soch
loD jIH*, * I am a 27 year old man.*, or more literally, *I am a 27 year
ago man.*  But I like your way better.  *cha'maH Soch ben jIbogh.*  Thanks.

SuSvaj

> >quite a bit of discussion on how to say one's age.
>
> >In "Power Klingon" you referred to Two Century Old Wine as <<cha'
> >vatlh DIS ben HIq>>.
>
> >By saying 200 years ago wine, can we imply that ben may be used
> >in the same sense of "years ago"  and then translate that into <<loSmaH
> >ben jIH>>  I am 40 years old.
>
> >I apologize for taking so long to get back to you on
> >this.  But, anyway, here are my (grammatical, not
> >philosophical) thoughts on age.
>

> *******Reply from Dr. Okrand  **********
>

> The word ben can be used to mean "years old," but in
> Klingon, one doesn't say "I am x years old."
>
> The phrase loSmaH ben jIH (loSmaH "40," ben "years ago," jIH "I"), if
> anything, would mean "40-year-old me" or the like.  It would parallel
cha'
> vatlh ben HIq "Two Century Old Wine" (cha' "two," vatlh "hundred," ben
"years
> ago," HIq "wine, liquor").  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
> think the word DIS "year" is in that phrase on "Power Klingon.")
>
> "I am 40 years old" would be expressed as:
>
> loSmaH ben jIboghpu'
>
> This is "I was born 40 years ago" (loSmaH "40," ben "years
> ago," jI- "I," bogh "be born," -pu' "perfective").  As is
> normal in Klingon sentences, the time element (in this
> case, loSmaH ben "40 years ago") comes first.
>
> Hope this helps.

Back to archive top level