tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 12:47:24 1996

RE: the other <taH>

December 15, 1996 2:24 AM, jatlh jo'Saq:

> > Quite simply, we have no idea.  It's been on the wish list for Okrand to
> > explain this one.  I've thought of several possible uses myself.
>
> 	Care to share??

lu'.  The first has to do with coordinates.  Perhaps Klingon navigation uses
the same perpendicular circles, but names coordinates in positive units and
negative units.  An example:

He pagh pagh pagh DoD cha' yInab.
Set course zero-zero-zero mark two.

Klaa says this in Star Trek V.  According to my idea, this course would be
"above" the galactic plane (whichever way Klingons designate that to be).
Alternatively, if he had said

He pagh pagh pagh DoD cha' taH yInab.
Set course zero-zero-zero mark negative two.

the course would have been set two units *below* the galactic plane.

A second idea: related to the word {yoy} "upside down."

yoychoHtaHvIS nuv, taH.
As a person turns upside down, we is at a negative angle.

Sort of a "upside down, but not vertical" meaning.

Just a couple of ideas.  Occasionally, someone comes up with a funny use for
{taH}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian