tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 14 17:54:57 1996

RE: KLBC: holy man

December 14, 1996 5:40 PM, jatlh jo'Saq:

> 	<lalDan loD ghagwI'>
> 	man who has religion
>
> This was the closest I could come to to saying "man of religion", as in
> Reverend Muckandfudge, or whatever.

I don't "have" a religion, I "obey" one or "believe in" one.  Maybe I even
"follow (the rules)" one.  (Well, for me this is moot; I do not practice any
religion.)  Also, who says that only men may be the priests in the Klingon
Empire?

lalDan ghot
religion's person

Maybe that does it, and maybe not.  I say: open the doors on this one.  What
ideas do others have?

>  Would a better one be:
>
> 	<lalDan lod qeqwI'>
> 	man who practices religion
>
> That still doesn't seem right.  You confuse that to mean *anyone* who is
> active in a religion.

Worse than that: {qeq} means "practice, train, prepare," not "worship."  Do
not use it in this sentence.  How about {lalDan pabwI'}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level