tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 11 08:08:03 1996

Re: Odo quote from Trials & Tribblations

>Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 06:59:33 -0800
>From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>
>
>jatlh SuStel:
>> chay' ghaH luvangmoH yIHmey?
>     I'm not sure of how you're using <chay'>.  In English, the word
>"how" can be asking "by what means" in which case the answer would be
><ghaH luvangmoHmeH lunuQ yIHmey> or it can be asking "in what manner"
>in whch case the answer would be <ghaH luQeHmoH yIHmey>.  I'm guessing
>your intent was the latter.
>     But do we have canon for this dual use of "how" in Klingon?  I'm
>not familiar with it.

I remember asking this very question upwards of six years ago on a list
somewhere.  Well, not about Klingon, but noting the double use of "how."
It seems that the dual meaning is fairly common among languages, and more
importantly, if Okrand had intended there to be to two "how"s, I'd expect
he would have told us.

~mark

Back to archive top level