tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 10 10:36:38 1996

Re: Odo quote from Trials & Tribblations

At 07:00 AM 12/10/96 -0800, you wrote:
>jatlh SuStel:
>> chay' ghaH luvangmoH yIHmey?
>     I'm not sure of how you're using <chay'>.  In English, the word
>"how" can be asking "by what means" in which case the answer would be
><ghaH luvangmoHmeH lunuQ yIHmey> or it can be asking "in what manner"
>in whch case the answer would be <ghaH luQeHmoH yIHmey>.  I'm guessing
>your intent was the latter.
>     But do we have canon for this dual use of "how" in Klingon?  I'm
>not familiar with it.
>
>taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH

You wanted the canon? From my files:

chay'  how?
   chay' Haw'pu' yaS How did the officer flee? TKD
   chay' jura' What are your orders? (lit. "How do you command us?") TKS
   chay' Dochvam vIlo' What do I do with this? (lit. "How do I use this?") TKD
   chay' Soj vISop  How do I eat the food? CK
   jIyajHa' chay' jura' [I don't (quite) understand. What are your orders?
(untranslated)] ST3
   chay' jura' [What are your orders? (untranslated)] ST6

chay'  What's going on? (excl)
   ["The question word chay' 'how?' may be used as a one-word sentence
meaning 'How did this        happen? What happened? What the--?'" (TKD 6.4)]

Voragh

Back to archive top level