tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 09 20:13:38 1996

Re: KLBC: ST VI translations

Chang is supposedly saying <taH pagh taHbe'> which is literally *To endure
or not to endure*.  This is as close to *To be or not to be* as is possible
in a language that has no *to be* verb in it.

SuSvaj

----------
> From: Andrew 'Ska' Netherton <[email protected]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject: KLBC: ST VI translations
> Date: Monday, December 09, 1996 3:57 PM
>

> 	I watched ST VI again last night, and tried to catch some of the
> <tlhIngan Holqoq> spoken.
>
> 	No surprise, I didn't catch a lot of it, as I've only begun my
> learning.  However, what Chang said during the dinner at the start of the
> movie is puzzling me.  As far as I can tell, he said,
>
> 	<taH maH, taHbe'!  Ha ha ha haa!!>
>
> 	To me, that seems like a very contextual use of "to be, or not to
> be", or something like that.  But if it IS "to be, or not to be", I would
> have translated it as:
>
> 	<taH maH, pagh taHbe' maH>
>
> 	Now, maybe I'm being too strict with my structure, or maybe I just
> heard him wrong.  Suggestions <joq> comments?

>  / _ \                                   \         ** Andrew Netherton **
>  \__)|        "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"         \ __     jo'Sqa, tlhIngan
SuvwI'
>      \      I came, I saw my cousin.      |(_ \   Waterloo, Ontario,
Canada

Back to archive top level