tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 15:51:15 1996

RE: KBLC: letter pronounciations

> > 	Although I haven't had to deal with it (except for spitting at
> > myself and my TKD), I'm wondering if there is a better explanation for the
> > sounds <q> and <Q>.
> Sure!  {q} is a dorso-uvular unvoiced stop, and {Q} is a dorso-uvular unvoiced
> affricate.  :)

Although you've probably gathered by now that I don't know much about
linguistics (really, fancy me not reallising that Esperanto had aspect -
how stupid!), I thought I'd have a go at describing the Klingon
consonant sounds in proper linguistic jargon! (I'm trying to learn it. :-)

To all non-linguists: you'd better ignore my list, as it's almost
certainly wrong! To linguists: I'd be interested to know what the correct
list would be.

b       voiced bilabial plosive
ch      unvoiced alveolar aspirate
D       voiced retroflex plosive
gh      voiced velar fricative
H       unvoiced velar fricative
j       voiced alveolar aspirate
l       voiced alveolar lateral approximant
m       voiced bilabial nasal
n       voiced alveolar nasal
ng      voiced velar nasal
p       aspirated unvoiced bilabial plosive
q       aspirated unvoiced uvular plosive
Q       unvoiced uvular affricate
r       voiced alveolar trill
S       unvoiced retroflex fricative
t       aspirated unvoiced alveolar plosive
tlh     unvoiced alveolar lateral affricate
v       voiced labiodental fricative
w       voiced bilabial thingy
y       voiced palatal erm, thingy
'       glottal plosive

Well, SuStel started it! ;-)

'olIva'

| Oliver PEREIRA  | [email protected]    ***VIVU ESPERANTO!***  |
| Selwyn College, | See the Cambridge Esperanto Group's web page at  |
| Cambridge       | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/keg.html     |
| CB3 9DQ         | It's really good! (Because I didn't write it.)   |