tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 13:37:53 1996

Re: greetings again

Andrew Netherton writes:
>	So, this brings up one possibility - has <nuqneH> lost its
>meaning, and is now used just as a greeting??  Sort of what "How are ya?"
>is doing in English... no one really cares, it's just something you say to
>someone in passing.

Good question.

Outside of the tapes, AFAIK there is only one example of nuqneH actually
being used by Paramount (who seem to prefer Qapla' for everything): in the
TNG episode "The Emissary". Riker says "nuqneH qaleghneS" in a THICK
Terran accent ("nook nay kay-lock ness") when he first meets Special
Federation Emissary K'Ehleyr.  She replies, "You speak Klingon!" in a
surprised tone. I like to think she was just amused. In any event, she
didn't encourage Riker's attempts, and continued to speak Standard with
the Enterprise crew (including Worf).

Voragh

Back to archive top level