tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 11:45:32 1996

RE: Rules... Transitive vs Intransitive

On Friday, December 06, 1996 10:57 AM, jatlh qeyloS:

> This all started for me when SuStel said:
> >vay''e' muvmoHbogh ghob chevlaHbe' Hegh.
> >
> >Literally, it's "Death is not able to separate something which virtue
causes
> >to join."  I'm not sure if {muv} is transitive or not.  For a substitute,
you
> >might try
> >
> >vay'e' tay'moHbogh ghob chevlaHbe' Hegh.

Whoops.  My mistake.  It's still an uncertain word, but the problem is not
transitivity, it's a problem of exactly what the verb means.  Is it "become
one with" or "cause more than one thing to become one"?

> Again, not being a smarta**, whether not {muv} is transitive or not means
> little if it DOES make sense. May it does being a grammarian but I don't
> want to add rules that don't exist. If that the way things really work like
> I said I'll live with it, maybe I'm being too simple but I do like
> simplicity after all.

But it *does* matter.  There's quite a bit of difference between these two
concepts.

> Sustel please add your comments......

pItlh.

--