tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:04:11 1996

RE: story, part 2

December 03, 1996 1:25 PM, jatlh charghwI':

> > >I think you mean {jIH neH yIbuS} "focus on me
> > >alone."
>
> Or:
>
> jIH HIbuS!
>
> Besides, you are being somewhat redundant, since "think only
> about" is part of the definition for {buS}. Meanwhile, {jIH neH
> yIbuS} has a conflict in the person of the object.

Whoops!  Sorry about the incorrect prefix.  Yes, it should be {jIH HIbuS!}

As for the redundancy, the last time I encountered this very problem
{<something> neH yIbuS}, I said "That's redundant," and the reply was "I know.
 I want it that way."  Therefore, I decided to let it go this time.  Looks
like I shouldn't have.

> Qo', pe'lora. HIyu'Qo'.
>
> > I might even consider "Qo'", but that usage is controversial, and deserves
> > to be so.
>
> Why? "I disagree, Pelora. Don't question me.

As far as I can tell, "I disagree" means that you've said something, and I
think it is incorrect.  I don't remember exactly what was going on at this
part of the story, but I believe Pelora was trying to ask her father a
question.  He responded by snapping that they were not to question him, but to
obey his orders.  The father's not disagreeing with something or refusing
something, he's telling her to be quiet, that her questioning is not allowed.
This is not very appropriate for {Qo'}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian