tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:03:45 1996

RE: Glottal stop ['] question(s)

December 03, 1996 11:47 AM, bIjatlh:

> Direct me to a FAQ if I've missed it somewhere along the line,
> but I've never come across how to pronounce the ' if it's at
> the beginning of a word... I'm sure it has something to do
> with whatever letter comes after the ', but even with the
> cassettes it is hard to tell...!

You've probably already gotten fifty answers to this, but just in case . . .

The FAQ is at http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.html

The web page for the KLI is http://www.kli.org
This page has a section with Mark Shoulson pronouncing all of the sounds of
Klingon, including the glottal stop.

As a quick idea, say "Uh-oh" out loud to yourself.  Do you feel how the back
of your throat catches twice when you say it?  That's a glottal stop.  And did
you notice that the first catch came before you started the word?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level