tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 15:39:00 1996

Re: Why bother with pong?

At 08:00 AM 12/3/96 -0800, Marc Ruehlaender wrote:

>What about reading "I'm a Roger." as "I'm one of the persons who are
>called <<Roger>>s." This is similar to reading "I'm a student." as
>"I'm one of those people who are called <<student>>s."
>So even "I'm <name>." can be interpreted as a categorizer.
>Where do you see the difference?

Yes, but you have to take it literally when speaking in other languages,
because you don't know if you're saying an idiom or not. You are stating
that you are A Roger, or THE Roger. As mentioned many times before, you have
to translate the IDEA into Klingon, not the literal sentence.

-mayq

Back to archive top level