tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 06:33:54 1996

Re: KLBC: Some Words :)

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 06:06:09 -0800 Oliver Stoll <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Would it be very bad to use the 'magnetism' version in some descriptions
> on some planets? What i'm really searching for is an easy way to express
> the "directions" in which exits point. I'd need something which is short
> so people don't have to type too much every time. Or would you just
> number them with degree numbers to get closest to canon? Sorry 'bout all
> that buggering, but when it comes to describing things I see quite some
> problems in Hol. I'll try to do some and post them so you can rip them
> apart at your pleasure. ;)

I agree with SuStel that there simply are no Klingon words for
absolute directions on the surface of a planet. On a ship, you'd
use {'et}, {'o'}, {poS} and {nIH}. In space, you'd use the ###
mark # system described in the technical manual. Meanwhile, we
don't know that Qo'noS has a consistent magnetic field or that
Klingons ever used compasses. One suspects all the metal
they wear might interfere with such an instrument. Perhaps they
call their goal in battle {'et} and use relative directions from
there.

Do you really expect the people in your environment to be using
compasses? If not, why not just give all the rooms a common
{'et} and be done with it?

> {QetlhIS}

charghwI'

Back to archive top level