tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 29 17:56:23 1996

RE: TKW Cover Photo Question

This is really only peripherally related to tlhIngan Hol, so please
accept apologies in advance for being slightly off-topic.

Looking at the cover photo on TKW, I was wondering...  Does anyone
happen to know if John Colicos and Michael Ansara are both left
handed?

------------------
Don't know.
------------------

I have not made any special study of the usage techniques for the
betleH, but the grip both are using strikes me as being left-handed.
Strong hand palm down to put the maximum power into a blow.
Weaker hand holding that end high for defense.)
----------------

I have actually made a special study of the martial use of the betleH.  I'm a martial arts
instructor and have been running betleH seminars for the past year or so for local KAGs.

Grip usage is one of the topics of the seminar.  Briefly;  techniques for the two outside grips are
over-over or over-under, under-under is basically worthless as it lacks strength and tends to trap the
elbows next to the torso.

For all grips techniques the strength originates *not* from the palm orientation of the striking hand but
from a 'fully body' connection from the hand through the arm, down the back, through the waist, and
into the legs.

In an over-under grip striking with the palm down hand causes a weakness at the other side;  if the strike is from under there is too much back bend in the wrist and if the strike is from over the top the elbow
tends to be trapped against the body.

If, on the other hand, the strike is made with the palm up hand the other wrist is not bent and the elbow
not trapped.  The strike can be made straight out but it does lack the twisting of the forearm that
supplies some extra power.

Anything that breaks the circular connection that is formed by the hollowed chest, rounded and relaxed shoulders, bent but relaxed elbows and the spine of the betleH will detract from the power of
a strike.

Actually the over-under grip is much more effective if the palm up hand is holding the center grip.  The reach of the weapon is also much greater.

The over-over grip is weak if the strike is higher than the shoulder as it causes the elbow to rise and
opens up the shoulder joint both of which weaken the strike.  If you try to forcefully pull your elbow down
then the wrist of the striking hand is bent into a weak angle.

Keep in mind that these guys aren't martial artists and I suspect even good martial artists as trainers
get overridden by the producers who seem to lack *any* knowledge of martial arts.

Hope that helps,

Qapla'

HetaQ
(Chet Braun)