tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 26 19:40:22 1996

Re: Klingon in Prolog

Sara Pontusson writes:
>Hi!

Hi, Sara!

>This is the first time I write so I should maybe introduce myself. My name
>is Sara and I'm a student at Lund's University in Sweden. I'm writing a
>cloze-test in Klingon-English.

I'm don't recognize the term "cloze-test" -- what is it?

>The program writes a English sentense, which
>the user are supposed to translate to Klingon. My problem is that I don't
>have enough with Klingon words and sentenses. So I wonder if someone could
>help me with various words in Klingon.

Words should be relatively easy; just look them up in the dictionary.
The hard part is putting words together with the correct grammar for
a Klingon sentence.  I'm willing to help translate simple sentences,
such as "His son eats chocolate in the bathroom" {puchpa'Daq yuch Sop
puqloDDaj}.  More complicated examples which can't be translated quite
so directly are a different matter; I don't feel comfortable giving a
rephrased translation without making sure the person I'm helping has a
good understanding of how and why it was rephrased.

>I have three different levels;
>depending on the length of the Klingon word/sentense. I also need some help
>with my programming. And if anyone know some programing; could you please
>contact me ((not through the mailing list) at [email protected]).
>Sara Pontusson

That's rather a vague request... "some programming" could mean anything
from Commodore Basic to FORTRAN to ADA.  The note subject mentions Prolog;
is that what you're using?