tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 25 07:54:16 1996

Re: {lab} and {lI'} (was Re: Memory trick)

According to Alan Anderson:

> charghwI' writes:
> >It just occurred to me, in trying to remember the difference
> >between {lab} and {lI'}, think of a message as if it were a
> >football. To send it, you {lab} [lob]. To receive it, you begin
> >to say that you are "listening" but before you get to the "s"
> >sound, you get hit in the belly with a Johnny Unitus bee-line
> >pass. {lI'}.
>
> I don't get it.
>
> {lab} is glossed as "transmit data (away from a place)" and
> {lI'} is "transmit data (to a place)"; neither of them appears
> to mean "receive data".

Okrand's choice of words was very bad in these definititions,
but if you look at their actual useage in ST3 (the only canon
useage for either term), {lab} is used to describe sending a
message and {lI'} is used to describe receiving one. This
occurs when the Genesis Project data is transmitted from
Valkris to Kruge.

> If the meanings given in TKD are what
> we should go by, I think {lab} would refer to broadcasting, and
> {lI'} to point-to-point communication.  I don't think that the
> gloss in TKD is an error; it's consistent between sides of the
> dictionary.

I seriously doubt that Valkris was broadcasting highly secret
data. She was, however, sending it.

> In the football analogy, I'd choose {lab} to describe simply
> throwing away the ball to avoid being sacked, and I'd say {lI'}
> if the quarterback aims for a specific receiver.

I don't think so.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.

Back to archive top level