tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 18 15:48:25 1996

Re: chIagu

macheq writes:
>Sanskrit doesn't accept hiatus...
>Contrary to what you have written to Thiago it's just the contrary with
>Klingon.  It accepts hiatus and always marks it with a special letter,
>namely {'}.

{'} is no more special than {p} or {D} or {q}.  They're all stops.

>You should have rather said: "Klingon doesn't accept smooth passage
>from one vowel to another and always demands a hiatus, i.e. a glottal stop."

"hiatus" does not equal "glottal stop".

>Let me quote from a dictionary: "Hiatus: a slight pause between two vowels
>that come together in successive syllables or words, such as
>between the e's in preeminent (<Latin: hiatus, gap)".
>Maybe you understand something else by this, but that's what I
>have learned about it - hiatus is a glottal stop.

"hiatus" means "pause".  It does not mean "stop".  There's a difference.
A "stop" is a consonant that completely interrupts the flow of air, like
"p" or "t" or "k".  "p" is a labial (lips) stop.  "t" is a dental (teeth)
stop.  "k" is a velar (soft palate) stop.  Klingon {q} is a uvular stop
(I think I got that right).  Klingon {'} is a glottal stop.  All these
examples are unvoiced; there are also voiced stops like "b" and "d" and
"g".  Klingon is weird because it doesn't pair up all of the voiced and
unvoiced consonants -- {p} and {b} go together, but {t} and {D} are made
with the tongue in different places, and there is no voiced counterpart
for {q} and {'} either.  But a "pause" is just that, a pause.  Between
the "ee" and "ah" sounds at the beginning of the name "Iago", there is
usually a slight pause as one's mouth rearranges itself for the new vowel.

We don't have any examples of Klingon permitting this.