tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 18:07:49 1996

Re: perfective and "today"

>>...I sincerely believe I'm trying to straighten out some
>>grammatical confusion.
>
>And, as far as I'm concerned, you did. Let's leave it at this, okay?

Okay.

I just talked on the telephone with a teacher who has about 30 years
of experience teaching English.  She undid the damage that apparently
was done to my brain in fourth grade by a "Transformational Grammar"
textbook.  I believe I now have a proper understanding of "perfect"
tense:  according to what she told me, it doesn't say something is
*done* before the time mentioned, it says it was *begun* before that
time and *is* done at that time.  Using this newly acquired knowledge
to look at the sentences in question, I now understand completely how
the sentence "my book has arrived today" ought to be interpreted, and
I agree completely that it makes perfect sense.

My apologies to all who were subjected to the fallout of my confusion.
Once again, charghwI' and I have butted heads, and he has come out the
victor.  {reH lugh charghwI'} indeed! :-)