tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 11:14:00 1996

Re: New Method for Superlative?

>Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:16:07 -0700
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to Garrett Michael Hayes:
>>
>> And on page 121 he writes <bortaS nIvqu' bortaS'e'>, which he
>> translates as "Revenge is the best revenge".

>AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
>Qu'vatlh! Whose side is this guy on? We now have the use of a
>stative verb used transitively in a parallel construction to
>the use of pronouns with an explicit subject.

yIjotchoH!

>[The sound of charghwI''s brain being tweaked] Oh. I get it.

>Cool.

>The new part in the second example is the first use of a
>structure parallel to:

>HoD ghaH Qanqor'e'.

>While it is interesting, I see it leading to really horrendous
>things like:

>Duj tIn DujwIj'e'.

>This, of course, SHOULD be the simpler:

>tIn DujwIj.

>Meanwhile, with all the English focus on "to be", it is only a
>matter of time.

>mu'tlhegh qabqu' chovnatlhvetlh'e'.

>This specimen is a very bad sentence.

>Of course, if we ARE trying to argue that the second example is
>using {nIv} adjectivally, and so there technically is no verb
>in the sentence at all, we go back to the "Me Tarzan. You
>Jane," interpretation of the use of pronouns as verbs, since,
>despite the use of verbal suffixes, the pronoun either does not
>need to be interpreted as a verb, or it could be considered to
>be adjectivally attached to the noun we have been interpreting
>as its object. [the sound of more tweaking]

>Whatever the case, this is indeed VERY new and perhaps very
>disturbing. We live in interesting times.

I don't think it needs to be so scary.  There are ways of understanding
this without postulating "Duj tIn DujwIj'e'."

For starters, consider Welsh.  Welsh has a perfectly good "to be" verb,
used as a copula, at least as consistent and compulsory as English.  "I
captain" makes as little sense in Welsh as it does in English.
Nonetheless, in Welsh *proverbs*, it's extremely common to find "X is Y"
constructions that leave out the verb.  It's a characteristic style of
proverbs (the only example I can come up with off the top of my head:
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon: A nation without a language [is] a
nation without a heart.)  There are gobs of others.  This doesn't prove
anything for Klingon, but it does show how it's conceivable for a language
to use copulae regularly and still lack them for certain styles of speech
(proverbs).  (Okrand's teeth, *some*day I'll be able to remember the
literary term for leaving out a copula.  I know it exists.  Someday I'll be
able to keep those terms straight without having to look up "synecdoche"
all the time.)

But we can do even better than postulating grammar; we can postulate
punctuation, which is less intrusive.  It's a bit of a cop-out, but not
much.  What if the sentence had been something colloquial like:

>> Do we have a new mechanism for expressing superlatives?

>No. Again, "very superior" easily translates to "among the very
>best". If you really want a superlative, you still need to use
>{law'/puS} and {Hoch}.

>> 'etlhqengwI'
>>
>> Garrett Michael Hayes
>> Client/Server Labs; 8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
>> [email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com; 770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax
>> (Opinions expressed are my own and may not be those of Client/Server Labs, LLC)
>>

>charghwI'
>--

> \___
> o_/ \