tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 12 07:08:35 1996

Re: KLBC: jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch

>Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:44:00 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>>pagh 'oH tlhIngan pongwIj'e' 'e' vIwIv.
>>Eric  Andeen 'oH tera'ngan pongwIj'e'.

>It might just be personal preference, but I don't like the way these use
>the word {'oH}.  It just seems more right to me the other way around:
>{thlIngan pongwIj 'oH pagh'e'}.  Klingon's version of "to be" isn't the
>same as English, and I think part of the difference is that while English
>"to be" indicates identity, Klingon "to be" is more of a categorizer.

Just for what it's worth, I think the ordering around 'oH is fine the way
it stands, and even sounds a little better to my ear.  This isn't intended
to undermine ghunchu'wI' or say he's wrong, just to confirm that IMO it IS
a personal preference... which is a valid reason for making a comment, to
be sure, but also a valid reason to follow one's own advice.

~mark

Back to archive top level