tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 10 15:25:11 1996

Re: Tasty, nice ... etc

[email protected] (Alan Anderson) wrote:

> macheq writes:

> >1) In Chinese (Mandarin) adjectives are also verbs.
> >2) for "nice" they just use "good + verb" e.g.:
> >"tasty" is just "good-[to]-eat" {hao-chi de} and
> >"nice (music)" is "good-[to]-listen (music)" {hao-ting de (yinyue)} and so on

> >maybe in tlhingan-Hol:
> >tasty: <Soplu'meH QaQ> and <tlhotlhlu'meH QaQ> - depending on whether
> >solid or liquid.
> >e.g. tlhotlhlu'meH QaQ biQ.

> I don't recognize {tlhotlh} -- I assume you meant {tlhutlhlu'meH}.

bIlugh. reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'.

> But this is a good grammatical tool to keep in mind.  It's not always
> going to be appropriate for the idea being translated, but it appears
> to be a useful way to phrase things.

maj.

> >        Other examples:
> >Qoylu'meH QaQ tlhIngan Hol. (good to hear = nice, pleasant to your ear)
> >tuQlu'meH QaQ tera'ngan HIp. (good to wear = comfortable)
> >larghlu'meH QaQ         (good to smell = nice, odorous)
> >leghlu'meH QaQ          (good to see = nice, beautiful)
> >ba'lu'meH QaQ           (good to sit = comfortable)
> >Hotlu'meH QaQ           (good to touch = nice, pleasant)

> >Heghta'lu'meH QaQ DaHjaj.

> Watch your suffix order!  Aspect suffixes are type 7, and must follow the
> type 5 "indefinite subject" suffix.

HIvqa' veqlargh.

> >Heghpu'lu'ghachveD QaQ DaHjaj

> The {-lu'} suffix has to come before {-taH} or {-pu'} or {-lI'} or {-ta'}.
> You're starting to get bogged down in the mechanics of meaning, to the
> point where the meaning itself gets lost in the shuffle.  What is your
> suggestion of {Heghlu'pu'ghach} supposed to mean?

Heghlu'pu'ghach: One's (indefinete subject's) having died.
Heghlu'ta'ghach: One's (indefinete subject's) purposedly having died.
Heghlu'taHghach: One's dying.
Heghlu'lI'ghach: One's intended dying.

But I agree that it might sometimes seem too complicated without reason.

macheq

lasciate ogni speranza voi qu'entrate