tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 10 15:21:08 1996

Re: qaSovlu' jIneH & KLBC

[email protected] (Alan Anderson) wrote:

> macheq writes:
> >HI, I would like to introduce mylself.

> Welcome to the list, Maciek/macheq.  If you've been watching it for a few
> weeks, you've probably heard my standard introduction, but just in case I
> haven't sent the full spiel lately, here it is again:

Thanks. I've seen it already that's why you have found KLBC letters in my
Subject line.

> I do have a "real" job and a family besides this mailing list.  Please be
> patient -- don't get upset if I haven't responded to your note in an hour
> or two!  I will try to check my mail every evening, but I might go out of
> town for the weekend, or I might have some extra schoolwork to do (yes, I
> am also a student).  I might even take a real vacation, but I'll warn the
> list first.

I understand you pretty well, I also can't answer every day.
In my job "you are never sure of the day and the hour".
I also do some studies, on Saturday I run Polish school at our Consulate,
full week of work. My daughters and wife don't even want to hear
about Internet, Klingon and similar things.

> >My second name, Stanislaw <SIta'nISlav> I TRANSLATE (yes! many
> >of the Slavic first names do translate pretty well) as noychoHlu'wI'.

> Hmm, a stative verb with the suffix {-lu'} is itself pretty strange,
> but to then add {-wI'}?  I can't follow it.  Perhaps you don't quite
> understand the meaning of the "indefinite subject" suffix.  Will you
> please explain your derivation of this translation?  Maybe I will be
> able to understand it, or maybe I will be able to help you translate
> it more accurately.

I am not sure if I understand well your idea of "a stative verb".
(TKD doesn't speak of such distinction, but I think you use it
rather intuitevly). Well, if I understand well, <-choH> means "change",
"become", and that's not stative any more.

TKD 4.2.5. "Verbs with <-lu'>  are often translated into the Eglish passive
voice".  I have tried to make the inverse: translate the passive voice
into Klingon. But you are right that the idea of "passiveness" is
already implied by the verb <noy> itself.

Maybe you are right I was unnecessarily stuch with my discovery of
<-lu'> and abused it (all the examples below, when re-thougt by
me show that sometimes <-lu'> is more then superfluous or
even wrong.

The meaning of my name is "The one who will become full of glory (famous)".
[A bit pretentious, hein?]

> We don't really know *what* {toQ} means.  It might be a generic word for
> "bird of prey" or "raptor", or it might be a specific kind of bird (like
> a falcon or eagle), or it might merely be the name of the business group
> that designed and built the ships.  It might even be a nonsense syllable
> chosen to "sound" good, like the cars named Elantra or Concour.

O.K. But even then I have chosen it to mean "bird" if this one of
the possibilities.

> >...at least I haven't been ST fan until I have discovered that it is a
> >wonderful world with plenty of new languages!

> Klingon seems to be the only Star Trek "language" with a definitive
> grammar.

I feel disappointed. I thought Vulcan & Ferengi would be at least similarly
elaborated, maybe only less popular. I have immediately lost all my
admiration for Star Trek (which - bad or good - never was too high, I have
to admit).

> yIHaD.  yIghItlh.  yIqeq.  yIghoj.

luq.

macheq