tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 10 11:27:26 1996

Re: cth'ia

According to [email protected]:

> As some of you may know I'm working on a Vulcan-Ferengi-Klingon- Romulan
> Dictionary. (As there are only 120 Vulcan, 70 Romulan and 60 Ferengi words,
> the fact that it's not being translate in to any *known* language and that
> anybody can freely down load the TDK, Copyright is no problem It's at my web
> site.)
>
> cth'ia is a Vulcan word which means: Logic, Reality-Truth, the way things are.
> They only translation I've been able to find is {vIt}.

{vIt} works, perhaps weakly, though {vItna'} might do a little
better, or despite my usual hesitance to use {-ghach}, perhaps
{teHtaHghach} would be good, since the focus of the Vulcan word
seems to be the abstract, absolute truth which is always true,
rather than simple facts which can be true today, but false
tomorrow, like, "Today, it is raining."

The continuity of this particular kind of truth is its primary
feature, so {teHtaHghach} does it for me. It is also more of a
mouthful, possibly a touch pretensive, which fits the Klingon
view of this Vulcan concept.

> Qapla'
>
> Daniel <Http://www.netland.nl/~dancat/welcome.html>

charghwI'