tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 12:16:32 1996

Tasty, nice ... etc & KLBC

"David Wood"  <[email protected]> wrote:

> A wondrous thought popped into my head when I read that simple sentence. I
> rushed to my TKD and searched through it. Sadly, I could find no word resembli
> "delicious" or "tasty." Such is life. Two more for the wish list IAC...

I have an idea concerning all the words (adjectives) that imply "nice" or some
positive & negative sensations. It came to me form Chinese.

1) In Chinese (Mandarin) adjectives are also verbs.

2) for "nice" they just use "good + verb" e.g.:

"tasty" is just "good-[to]-eat" {hao-chi de} and
"nice (music)" is "good-[to]-listen (music)" {hao-ting de (yinyue)} and so on,

and "ugly" is "not good-[to]-look" {bu hao-kan}.

maybe in tlhingan-Hol:

tasty: <Soplu'meH QaQ> and <tlhotlhlu'meH QaQ> - depending on whether
solid or liquid.

e.g. tlhotlhlu'meH QaQ biQ.

        Other examples:

Qoylu'meH QaQ tlhIngan Hol. (good to hear = nice, pleasant to your ear)

tuQlu'meH QaQ tera'ngan HIp. (good to wear = comfortable)

larghlu'meH QaQ         (good to smell = nice, odorous)

leghlu'meH QaQ          (good to see = nice, beautiful)

ba'lu'meH QaQ           (good to sit = comfortable)

Hotlu'meH QaQ           (good to touch = nice, pleasant)

This may also solve the problems of the: "good day to die"
I would opt for No. 17: Heghlu'meH QaQ DaHjaj
or with an aspect suffix:

HeghtaHlu'meH QaQ DaHjaj,
Haghpu'lu'meH QaQ DaHjaj

or: (with intentions)
HeghlI'lu'meH QaQ DaHjaj,
Heghta'lu'meH QaQ DaHjaj.

If we were more noun-centered, No. 18 might also be good:
HeghghachvaD QaQ DaHjaj

but better with two suffixes:

HeghtaHlu'ghachvaD QaQ DaHjaj,
Heghpu'lu'ghachveD QaQ DaHjaj