tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 05 20:47:05 1996

Re: Re: worn out (vavwI' loDnI')

tIm writes:
>...For three days, I asked myself,
>"Is the verb 'to allow' more like 'to know' and 'to see', both of which take
>the 'e' construction, or is it more like 'to want' which requires a non-'e'
>construction?"

The answer is simple.  The *only* verb that is like "to want" is {neH}.
It is the single exception to the use of {'e'} or {net} in a sentence-
as-object construction.  (Direct quotes, with verbs of "saying", are a
slight exception also, but they differ in other ways as well.)

>Moving on, I have been giving my little sentences some thought and I think
>the first one of the two needs a little work.  The sentence in English
>doesn't want the bastards to start wearing you down, I think it is speaking
>about possibility.  So the sentences, new and improved, would go something
>like;
>nIQopmoHlaH taHqeqpu' 'e' yIchaw'Qo'.

*I* don't see any implication of "ability" in the original.

>lugh 'e' jItul
>tIm
>(With my luck "to hope" won't take the 'e' construction)

I dunno, I like {nI'ItmoH taHqeqpu' 'e' yIchaw'Qo'}.