tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 03 09:16:58 1996

Re: KLBC "Don't let the bastards get you down"

>Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 06:37:59 -0800
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to [email protected]:
>> See above and add, allowing a thing (even if that thing is an action) doesn't
>> sound right.  We allow sentient beings, we make objects do things. If you
>> want to use 'e' then the sentence should be something like <nIQop taHqeqpu'
>> 'e' yImev>, but that's getting away from the spirit of the original.  Another
>> way to translate it and get more of the sense of the action would be <nIQop
>> taHqeqpu' yIchaw'Qo'egh>

>I agree that "Stop the bastards from abrading you," misses the
>point, but I don't think anyone was suggesting replacing
>{yIchaw'Qo'} with {yImev}. Your last suggestion, however, is
>total gibberish. The {-'egh} indicates that the subject is the
>object and Klingon grammar states that you place the
>subject/object in the subject position. It's like the
>difference between saying, "I wash myself" and saying, "I am
>washed by myself." The latter is not Klingon.

>So, your last suggestion does not make more sense of the
>action. It makes no sense AT ALL.

In addition to which, when I suggested "Qop", I meant to use it as PART of
your sentence, depending on how it fit the rest.  You're using it
transitively, when it doesn't have that meaning.  You want to forbid the
taHqeqpu' from CAUSING YOU to be worn out: use QopmoH.

chaw'Qo' is likely what you want... but other possible verbs that work
better than mev include nIS and bot.

~mark

Back to archive top level