tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 26 18:45:24 1995

Re: }} "Finally!"

According to David Barron:

> I have always lemented the lack of a Klingon expression for "Finally!"
>
> How does <jIloSqu'pu' jay'> work to fill the void?
>
> --
>  David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
>  Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup
>  P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616     ||        yInpu' wa'netlh yInmey
>  It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. Not available by E-mail!
>                      E-mail   [email protected]

I've thought about this and have decided that the reason there
is no good word for it is that it is an unKlingon expression
simply because a Klingon would not silently wait and then walk
up and say, "Finally!" when the other person is ready.

A Klingon would walk up BEFORE the other person is ready and
say the magic word:

DaH!

[For those who don't know the joke, when a Klingon kid asks for
something, a Klingon mother will respond the way a human mother
responds when a human kid forgets to say, "please". The mother
asks, "What is the magic word?"

kid: chab vIneH.

mom: mu' le' 'oH nuq'e'?

kid: chab vIneH. DaH!